The Pomeranian Club of Canada was founded in 1979 as a non-profit organization. The Club is constituted under authority of the Canadian Kennel Club, and operated on the basis of the volunteer activities and contributions of its members. It is a national breed club whose area of operation is all of Canada, and whose purposes, as set out in the Constitution of the Pomeranian Club of Canada, are:
- to encourage and promote the breeding of purebred Pomeranians and to do everything possible to bring to perfection their natural qualities and enduring health.
- to urge members, breeders and judges to accept the standard of the breed as approved by the Canadian Kennel Club as the only standard of excellence by which the Pomeranian shall be judged.
- to do everything in its power to protect and advance the interests of the breed by encouragement of sportsman-like competition at dog shows, sanctioned matches, specialty shows, obedience matches and trials and special events.
- to conduct dog shows, sanctioned matches, specialty shows and obedience trials under the rules of the Canadian Kennel Club and to support the entry of Pomeranians at such all-breed shows as the Club may determine.
- To promote and, wherever possible, police a Code of Ethics which protects the Pomeranian by ensuring that members agree to abide by the Code of Ethics when joining the Club.
The operation of the Club is governed by its Constitution and By-Laws. The matters governed by the Club’s By-Laws are as follows:
- Article I: Membership ¾ deals with conditions of eligibility for, and termination of membership in the Club
- Article II: Organization ¾ specifies the structure of the Club’s Board of Directors and duties of its officers; nomination and balloting procedures; formation and structure of Committees; Club discipline procedures;
- Article III: Meetings ¾ annual, special and board meetings, including the Order of Business and voting procedures;
- Article IV: Finance ¾ addresses the Club’s fiscal year, dues, banking and dissolution procedures;
- Article V: Legal ¾ stipulates the Club’s signing authorities/officers;
- Article VI: Procedure ¾ provides for meetings, etc. to be governed by Robert’s Rules of Order;
- Article VII: Alteration or Amendment ¾ sets out the procedure for proposing, voting on and approving changes to the Constitution and By-Laws of the Club;
- Article VIII: Procedure for Specialties or Boosters ¾ governed by the Club’s Board of Directors;
- Article IX: Effective Date
- Article X: Indemnification ¾ provides for the protection of Club’s volunteer officers and their agents.
A complete copy of the Pomeranian Club of Canada’s Constitution and By-Laws is available to members .